Tunnelbuilder Promoting the world's tunnelling industry to a huge qualified audience

View the Spanish Tunnelbuilder website View the Italian Tunnelbuilder website

Archive Search


Romania, Muntenia - ro/20


The consortium composed of Webuild (leader with a 90% stake) and the local partner Tancrad (10%)  secured  a contract worth more than EUR 1 billion to build Lot 3 of the Sibiu-Pitesti Highway in Romania. Lot 3 is the most complex part of the highway because it will cross the Carpathian Mountains between Cornetu and Tigveni for 37.4 km, of which 12.5 km will include bridges and viaducts, and the 1.7 km long Poiana twin tunnel.  

The contract will be 85% financed by European Union funds and the remaining 15% by state funds.  In addition to the tunnel, bridges and viaducts, Lot 3 includes the design and construction of more than 23 km of a double-lane highway, two interchanges at Valeni and Cornetu, 18 km of consolidation works, the construction of a maintenance and control centre, and work to preserve the environment. There will also be an animal crossing at Olt River. It will help reduce traffic congestion between Cornetu and Tigveni by providing an alternative route to national roads.  

Contact CNAIR (Compania Naționala de Administrare a Infrastructurii Rutiere), Bucarest, tel +40 212643299, fax +40 212643298, email achizitiipublicebuget@andnet.ro. Visit https://www.webuildgroup.com/en/. Ref n. 16054368/2020/2002/S10. 19/22.